Medical Pharmacology ePortfolio: October

Hey everyone! October has been an amazing and busy time. The weather goes back and forth between typical New Orleans heat and atypical New Orleans chills. This month we finished our pulmonary block, learning about antivirals, antifungals, pneumonia, organ transplants, and various molecular imaging techniques. From there, we started our GI/neoplasia block covering drugs ranging from IBS all the way to chemotherapy. It has been a busy time with a lot of information to be learned, but manageable now that everyone is now in the pharmacology rhythm. That being said, I am more than ready for our upcoming thanksgiving break!

This month, a few students in the program, and myself, volunteered for a 5k run hosted by the United Negro College Fund. I signed up for this event last minute after hearing about it from a few classmates. I was quickly on board once I heard about the amazing work that this fund does for historically black colleges and universities such as Xavier and Dillard University, which are both here in New Orleans. The 5k was hosted in Audubon park near the fly (one of the most beautiful places in New Orleans, perfect for hanging out with friends and watching the sunrise over the Mississippi river). We arrived bright and early to help set up tables and chairs. Me and another student were given the task to help spread the event through social media. I was astonished by the enthusiasm of everyone who was participating in the run. Everyone was coming up to us asking for pictures so they could show their support through FaceBook, Twitter, and Instagram. Surprisingly, even Ronald McDonald himself wanted to share the fun!


As you can see, a lot of fun was had at the UNCF event. I have been to a lot of charity events in Audubon Park over my 5 years in New Orleans, but I can say with certainty that this was the most energetic and fun fundraisers I have ever been to, and I hope I can participate for years to come. 

I am extremely excited for next month in the pharmacology program. We will begin our endocrine/reproduction block next Monday. Also, the research I am working in at the Children's Hospital will start the data collection phase. It will be a busy month yet again, but I could not be more excited to learn more drugs and continue volunteering for the New Orleans community! 

October Community Service Hours: 8
Fall Semester Community Service Hours: 20



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medical Pharmacology ePortfolio: August

Medical Pharmacology ePortfolio: December