Medical Pharmacology ePortfolio: August

Hey everyone!

This is my first blog post for the masters of medical pharmacology program at Tulane, so I will give some background information about myself to start everything off. I am originally from New York City and I got my undergrad degree at Tulane University in Psychology and Neuroscience. I originally came down south for my college experience because I wanted a change of scenery and pace from city life, and it has been the best decision of my life. That is why I am ecstatic to stay in Louisiana for an extra year studying pharmacology. So far the program has been the perfect combination of challenging work with rewarding knowledge gains. I love the opportunity I have been given to learn with like minded students in an environment where the front line of research is being performed. 

What I appreciate the most about Tulane is its focus on community service. Tulane and New Orleans are incredibly intertwined, especially after the devastating events caused by Katrina, and their coexistence has pushed the city into a new age of cultural and academic growth. I am excited to continue my service this year as a graduate student. I plan to continue the New Orleans rebuilding process through working with habitat for humanity and tutoring the next generation of Louisiana high school students. 

Recently, I have also been working on a personal project that I started as an undergrad at Tulane. Last year I helped bring the Youth Movement Against Alzheimer's Organization to campus. Starting any organization can be a daunting task, but Tulane provided all the tools and mentors needed to make this organization come to life. YMAA is a national organization that helps bring awareness and research opportunities to undergraduate students across the United States. This past week, the YMAA organization has finalized plans to integrate themselves into Tulane's Brain Institute. Through this integration, YMAA can both grow as an organization, and have a better outlet to display and reward student research in the field of Alzheimer's disease. I hope that integrating YMAA with Tulane's brain institute is the first step to expanding our awareness and understanding of Alzheimer's disease. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medical Pharmacology ePortfolio: October

Medical Pharmacology ePortfolio: December