Medical Pharmacology ePortfolio: November

Hey everyone, it's me again!

Another month down and only one block remaining until winter break. November was a filled month for the pharmacology program. For most of the month we studied the endocrine/reproductive system. I was a neuroscience and psychology double major in college, so this material was mostly new for me. What I found most interesting about this block was all the incredibly complex facets involved with diabetes. It is absolutely amazing how this common disease initiates and progresses throughout a patients life. Learning about everything from the specific biology, all the way to pharmacological intervention, helped me understand how an entire human system responds in many different ways to disruption in the normal metabolic routine. In order to help us gain an understanding of diabetes and its treatments, we all participated in a Team Based Learning exercise. We are split into small groups and work together on answering difficult questions about the disease. I believe this is the best way to understand difficult concepts. The questions open up internal discussions that help us put concepts into words. All that being said, I was certainly happy to go back to New York for Thanksgiving break after that block exam!

The last block we have before winter break is on brain and behavior. I have been waiting for this material since the first day of the program. I did not realize how much I missed studying neuroscience after I graduated from Tulane. So far we have covered strokes, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, epilepsy, and addiction. This material resonates with me because my goal is to one day become a psychiatrist, because i truly believe that understanding the brain is the forefront of medicine. Many of these disorders are still a mystery, despite the amount of time humanity has known of their existence. As we have learned in class, many of the available pharmacological treatment strategies are directed at controlling symptoms, rather than solving the underlying causes. I want to be on the front lines fighting these psychiatric disorders and raising awareness for those, who even today, believe that mental disorders do not exist, or cannot be controlled.

Lastly, I am excited to participate in an upcoming Habitat for Humanity build this upcoming Saturday with some of the other students in this program. In high school, I used to participate very often in habitat builds. I love how the charity is run and I enjoy spending time out doors working with my hands. Sadly, I shifted my focus to other charity work during my undergraduate years. So, this will be the first build in awhile. I am hoping it will be as fun as I remember!

November Community Service Hours: 0
Fall Semester Community Service Hours: 20

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medical Pharmacology ePortfolio: August

Medical Pharmacology ePortfolio: October

Medical Pharmacology ePortfolio: December